Madison District Public Schools 2021 Bond
2021 Bond Timeline
Duration: 333 days
Start: 5/27/2022 (Friday)
End: 9/5/2023 (Tuesday)
- Procure Design Services: 5/30/2022
- Design Phase: 5/30/2022- 9/12/2022
- Bid and Award: 9/12/2022 - 11/8/2022
- Construction: 11/8/2022 - 9/4/2023
- Procurement: 11/8/2022 - 3/17/2023
- Construction 3/27/2023 - 8/28/2023
- Early as available (after plant shutdown): 3/27/2023 - 6/15/2023
- Construction - Summer: 6/15/2023 - 8/28/2023
- MD Move-in 8/28/2023 - 9/4/2023
- 1st Day of School 2023: 9/5/2023
2021 Bond Updates
Madison Early Childhood Center
- New roof to keep our students warm, safe and dry
Madison High School
- New roof to keep our students warm, safe and dry
- Major mechanical infrastructure investment to keep our students comfortable and learning including:
- New rooftop equipment
- New horizontal unit ventilators in classrooms
- New modern air filtration system keeping our students healthy
- Air conditioning in classrooms
- Main entry renovation
- New door series to provide higher security
- New visitors path into the office for better screening
- New ADA restroom in common area to increase student convenience and security
- New PA system for better communications throughout our facility
- New bell system to keep our students moving
- New clock system to keep our students on time
Frequently Asked Questions
What is on the November 2, 2021 Ballot?
On November 2, 2021, voters in Madison District Public Schools will be asked to consider a bond proposal to replace roofs, upgrade the high school electrical and mechanical systems, enhance existing building security, and improve the learning environment in High School classrooms. If the bond proposal is approved by voters, it is estimated that the school district will be able to maintain the existing school debt levy (3.86 mills) and issue the bonds with a ZERO INCREASE to debt millage rate. The bond proposal authorizes the issuance of $11.4 million in bonds.
From 2020 rate to the proposed new millage rate, the rate drops more than FOUR(4) MILs.
What are the major features of this bond proposal?
The November 2, 2021, bond proposal is a comprehensive facilities upgrade program that resolves significant issues at the high school and replaces roofs at three schools.
The highlights of this program encompass four key areas:
- Improvements to address the aging infrastructure of buildings.
- Energy and operational initiatives to improve the environmental quality and efficiency of our buildings, as well as reduce operational expenses.
- Learning environment upgrades to ensure classroom air quality and provide air conditioning.
- Needed roofing replacements at Madison High School, Wilkinson Middle School and the Early Childhood Center.
Key features of the proposed bond program included the following areas:
- Critical infrastructure upgrades at the High School to correct HVAC, electrical, lighting and piping issues. This will be accomplished by replacing and upgrading the current HVAC system with new boilers, pumps, valves piping, unit-vents with AC, and energy management controls.
- High School Building roof replacement and needed interior improvements to the classrooms to replace damaged ceiling tiles, painting, and masonry repair.
- Roofing replacements at Wilkinson Middle School and the Early Childhood Center to replace roofs beyond their useful life and in need of repair.
- Training of school personnel on the operations and maintenance of all new systems.
How was this bond program developed?
Madison District Public Schools has been engaged over the past two years in a long-term facility and infrastructure planning initiative to upgrade the district's aging buildings to improve the learning environment and meet the vision and goals of the school district.
A Facility Condition Assessment completed on behalf of the district by Performance Services and Byce Architecture in February 2019 and updated in 2021. In April 2021 SetSeg School Insurance Specialist conducted a facility and Hazard Assessment on school facilities as well. The studies identified critical facility needs at Madison High School and roofing needs at Wilkinson and Early Childhood Center. The school's budget has only allowed for addressing the district's most critical facility repairs, the district's aging buildings, shifting student enrollment, and the desire to modernize facilities to address the needs of today's and tomorrow's learners, require facility upgrades beyond the dollars available in our annual budget. It is imperative we make these improvements now.
The District was mindful of the Board of Education's desire that any bond proposal brought before the community not result in an increase for taxpayers beyond the current debt. Madison District Public Schools working Performance Services, Byce Architects, SetSeg, district stakeholders including tours and feedback from students, teachers, principals, parents and community members presented the school board a proposal to address critical infrastructure needs.
After reviewing the critical items identified in both studies, the Board unanimously supported placing a $11.4 million bond initiative on the ballot, which would be a zero increase over the current debt millage rate.
When is the election?
Tuesday, November 2, 2021.
Why is this bond election necessary?
The school is requesting the bond to repair critical infrastructure needs at Madison High School and roofs at the Early Childhood Center and Wilkinson Middle School.
A recent study by the school insurance carrier requires the repair of mechanical issues and the roof at the high school.
The majority of HVAC equipment at Madison High School is original from 1963 and well beyond its lifecycle and in need of repair and replacement.
What's included in the bond proposal?
It is important to note that the projects listed below will fulfill the requirements in the SetSeg report. All items included in the bond proposal are critical infrastructure improvements that can be accommodated without a tax rate increase.
- Replace roof at Madison Early Childhood Center
- Replace roof at Wilkinson Middle School
- Replace roof at Madison High School
At High School:
- Replace ceiling tiles in classrooms
- Building wide update electrical system with additional outlets in classrooms
- Painting and Masonry repair in Classrooms
- Replace and Upgrade HVAC systems including Boilers, pumps, valves, piping
- Install new unit-ventilators in classrooms with both heating and air conditioning
- Upgrade building controls with new energy management system
- Upgrade main entrance security